Friday, November 23, 2012

Alec made them a splendid bow

  Dr. Alec made them a splendid bow, looking much gratified, andthen said soberly"Thank you; now the question is, shall I go on? for this is only thebeginning. None of you know the hindrances I've had, the mistakesI've made, the study I've given the case, and the anxiety I've oftenfelt. Sister Myra is right is one thing Rose is a delicate creature,quick to flourish in the sunshine, and as quick to droop without it.
  She has no special weakness, but inherits her mother's sensitivenature. and needs the wisest, tenderest care, to keep a very ardentlittle soul from wearing out a finely organised little body. I think Ihave found the right treatment, and; with you to help me, I believewe may build up a lovely and a noble woman, who will be a prideand comfort to us all."There Dr. Alec stopped to get his breath, for he had spoken veryearnestly, and his voice got a little husky over the last words. Agentle murmur from the aunts seemed to encourage him, and hewent on with an engaging smile, for the good man was slyly tryingto win all the ladies to vote for him when the time came.
  "Now, I don't wish to be selfish or arbitrary, because I am herguardian, and I shall leave Rose free to choose for herself. We allwant her, and if she likes to make her home with any of you ratherthan with me, she shall do so. In fact, I encouraged her visits lastwinter, that she might see what we can all offer her, and judgewhere she will be happiest. Is not that the fairest way? Will youagree to abide by her choice, as I do?""Yes, we will," said all the aunts, in quite a flutter of excitement atthe prospect of having Rose for a whole year.
  "Good! she will be here directly, and then we will settle thequestion for another year. A most important year, mind you, forshe has got a good start, and will blossom rapidly now if all goeswell with her. So I beg of you don't undo my work, but deal verywisely and gently with my little girl, for if any harm come to her, Ithink it would break my heart."As he spoke, Dr. Alec turned his back abruptly and affected to beexamining the pictures again; but the aunts understood how dearthe child was to the solitary man who had loved her mother yearsago, and who now found his happiness in cherishing the little Rosewho was so like her. The good ladies nodded and sighed, andtelegraphed to one another that none of them would complain ifnot chosen, or ever try to rob Brother Alec of his "Heart's Delight,"as the boys called Rose.
  Just then a pleasant sound of happy voices came up from thegarden, and smiles broke out on all serious faces. Dr. Alec turnedat once, saying, as he threw back his head, "There she is; now forit!"The cousins had been a-Maying, and soon came flocking in ladenwith the spoils.
  "Here is our bonny Scotch rose with all her thorns about her," saidDr. Alec, surveying her with unusual pride and tenderness, as shewent to show Aunt Peace her basket full of early flowers, freshleaves, and curious lichens.
  "Leave your clutter in the hall, boys, and sit quietly down if youchoose to stop here, for we are busy," said Aunt Plenty, shakingher finger at the turbulent Clan, who were bubbling over with thejollity born of spring sunshine and healthy exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment